Thursday, April 26, 2012

Day Three: Core-Distal

READING - Ch. 7


I absolutely adore Core-Distal. At the beginning of this chapter, she says "I have to feel connected within myself and able to claim my own movement sphere (kinesphere) before I feel comfortable moving in the world." It's such a strong truth that it seems everyone is searching for. You always see people striving for the approval of others, and trying to find their place in the world or society. Less often do you see them look within themselves in order to find what their purpose is. In our naive minds, it does seem backwards. I have to go deep within myself in order to go outside of myself? However, it is such a vital step in the process of development. 


Later on in the reading, it mentions how we did start with Breath, and that we continue to move forward from there. While "the Breath pattern supports everything we now do", we're moving forward to find our own center. As she says it, "we begin to establish our own kinesphere and discover its center." For me, this means that I can begin figuring out how to dance in my own body, instead of just copying someone else, and trying to dance in their body. It is so important, both physically and mentally, to be comfortable within my own self. It is the basis for any type of growth.


CLASS


Something Janae said at the beginning of class really stuck out to me. She said "The further you go in, and the deeper you go, the further you can go out." It makes so much sense that you get as much out of something as you put into it. If you're not fully invested in something, you're not going to gain as much satisfaction from it as you could. You can't get something for nothing...growth is not supposed to be easy. It's all about that lively interplay--both in movement and in every day life. 


Core-Distal isn't just about going from in to out. Once we're out, we need to be receptive to what's out there. What information can we bring back into ourselves? What is useful and can help us? What is unnecessary that we need to let go of? This is where that breath support is still so important. If we don't allow that breath to expel what we don't need, we're crammed full of information that's just overloading our system. It's good to be able to retain information, but we only want to keep it if it's going to help us in one way or another.

No comments:

Post a Comment