Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Movement and Relaxation

Before we started our movement and relaxation, we took a minute for Sister Wadsworth to talk to us. She said that in our journals, several of us have mentioned how we feel like we're either stuck, or are awkward, off balance, or digressing...something along those lines. So obviously I perked up, waiting for what was coming next. Have we been approaching the whole theory absolutely wrong? Were we disgracing Alexander's name?
Not according to Sister Wadsworth.
Apparently, this is exactly how we should be feeling. This is the point of the process that we're supposed to be at. Because we're trying to reprogram our bodies, it was inevitable that we would feel this way.

So we went ahead and did some improv to get our bodies warm, and then did our own relaxation. As I was laying on my mat, I was thinking about what Sister Wadsworth had said. As I'm coming to realize that it's never fun trying to purge out bad habits, and relearning good ones. It makes me think of the saying "you can't teach an old dog new tricks". I beg to differ. You most certainly can teach an old dog new tricks. All you need is a willing dog, lots of patience, and perspective to see the big picture. If you have someone who is unwilling to change, obviously they're not going to. There's no one who can decide that but themselves. And if they're willing, but don't have to patience to allow the process to happen, they'll just get frustrated, and won't make any progress. So, basically, by having patience and remembering that it will get better, I'll be able to move forward and get out of this awkward stage. I'm crossing my fingers!

No comments:

Post a Comment