Sunday, March 18, 2012

American College Dance Festival 2012

There were soo many incredible experiences that I had at ACDF this year! I learned something new in just about every class. And if I didn't learn something new, I at least had a real good time.

I took all sorts of classes...modern, hip hop, congo, improv, contact improv, musical theatre, and I auditioned for ADF....so many great teachers, so many great classes. Sounds cheesy, I know...but it's still true.

I actually just want to talk specifically about one class, though. It was the last class of the week, called relaxed improvisation. I thought it sounded like a nice way to end the week. I almost switched to a modern class instead, since I had already taken 2 improv classes. But, last minute, I decided to stick with it, and I am so grateful that I did.

When we started, it was really just to kind of get into our bodies, and release any tension we may have acquired throughout the week, plus our regular tension. The part I really want to talk about, though, is when we did a three-some improv. The way it worked was one person would close their eyes, and the other two would keep their hands in contact with the blind person, and lead them around the room. It started off with just walking in one direction. Then it grew to where they could walk them forwards, backwards, sideways, or diagonal, or they could just take a still moment. At this point, they could also change their points of contact. Then, after awhile, they would lead the blind person into movement. The blind person just allowed themselves to be manipulated and just move according to how they were being led. After doing this for a while, the teacher encouraged the leaders to switch blind people. Then after awhile, the groups would switch blind people and do the same thing again.

It was amazing.

I have never felt the way I did during this improv. I didn't like being the leader as much, but being the blind person was a very emotional and spiritual experience. Usually when I'm asked to do improv, or anything, with my eyes closed, all I see is black. Or, even with my eyes open, when I've been asked to describe what colors I see when I improv, all I can honestly say is that I just see black within myself. I never really thought about this until this experience. As soon as they started walking me around the room, I felt myself leave the room, and they came with me. And then the most incredible thing happened....I saw myself completely differently. I was more translucent and white, with some colors dispersed throughout my silhouette....blues, purples, and greens.
The closest thing I can compare it to would be a jellyfish....although that still doesn't even do it justice. I was surrounded by similar colors and shapes. I can honestly say it was the most fulfilling connection I have ever felt. Then, when they started moving me around, and when the leaders started changing who they were leading, there was one point where I could swear I felt At least 5 or 6 people moving me around. Though apparently, after asking about it later, the most that was ever with me was maybe 4 people.

When my turn came to an end, I really had a hard time forcing my eyes open again. I will never forget how this class made me feel. It really was amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment